Sunday, April 17, 2011

storage tour






unbelievably I have been in my new workshop for 3 weeks already...so I thought it was about time for a better tour...starting with my ribbon alcove.

my ribbon spools are stored in trays which are from the reallyusefulbox company. I have 6 of them here and they are just stacked on top of each other ...

.... I think they would fall over if they were knocked but because they are in an alcove they have stayed put very well. (they can be drilled & screwed to the wall if need be)


I've used these trays for a while, here's another on a table top used for storing brads.

Back in the alcove, beside the ribbon trays, I have 2 wooden CD storage units (they are from Wilkinsons)


they hold all my metal findings which I keep in plastic storage jars from Julian Graves.


My large spools of ribbon have always caused storage problems but now I have

the.best. solution.ever!

I happened upon it by accident whilst packing up the old workshop, when I found my 2 old wooden cassette tape holders. I've had them since I was about 10 (ish) and they used to be on the wall of my bedroom in my parent's house. One came from HMV (I think) and the other was made by my Dad! Neither of them have seen cassette tapes for many years now but I could never bear to throw them away ... and good job too, look at this ::


they are the absolute perfect size for my large ribbon spools!!!


I am SO glad that I never got rid of these :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love it when a thing comes together like that , perfection indeed !!

Linnhe Mara said...

It's alway worth keeping storage items, you just never know when they might come in handy. Of course the problems arise when you have to store all your storage!

Coisas de Feltro said...

Congratulations! Looks great! Perfect to work.

Pretty Petal Handmade said...

I think I'd stare at that ribbon all day if I had that amount of gorgeous stuff! Looks amazing :)

Rhi x

niky feltrolilla said...

Wow!!!!! it's very very very beautifull!!!!!!!!!! i love your colorefuled things!!!! :-)

Indigo Blue said...

Are you sure that you have never worked for IKEA at some stage? You are very clever at finding things that enable you to make full use of whatever space you have. Do you remember posting about clear acrylic storage trays? It was some time ago now. They may have had embroidery threads or ribbon in. I put it in my favourites but lost it when my laptop had a nasty visitor from the internet and everything not backed up was lost.

Jessie May said...

Wow, old cassette storage, brilliant idea. I have an old cassette case of my Dad's just hanging around, waiting for a new purpose. Thank you!! Your ribbon looks wonderful by the way :)